Home > Practical information > Learn to drive and prepare for exams

Learn to drive and prepare for exams

Learn to drive and prepare for exams

The role of driving schools is to help you acquire the skills required of a driver job, knowledge of the rules of the road, rules of the road and driving. These schools charge a fee, but they facilitate your learning, provide you with experience and prepare you for testing.

The Driving School Association of Ontario offers tips to help you choose a driving school .

You will also find on the Ministry of Transport website a list of the driving schools approved by the Ministry.

To find a Driver's License Examination Center, click here.

To access the Driver's Guide online, which will help you prepare for the theory test, click here.

Finally, this info sheet helps you prepare for the practical exam.

Apply for a driver's license

To apply for a driver's license in Ontario, you must be 16 years of age or older and pass an eye exam. In addition, you must present a theory test to assess your knowledge of traffic rules and road signs, which will allow you to obtain a G1 permit. This latter rule applies to all drivers except those who hold a driver's license issued by one of the countries that has an agreement with Canada on the exchange of a reciprocal driver's license.
The driver's license application must be accompanied by proof of your legal name, date of birth (it must indicate the day, month and year of birth) and your signature. The documents must be original and valid. Photocopies and expired documents are not acceptable.One of the following documents may be accepted as proof of your legal name, your complete date of birth and your signature:

  • passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • canadian citizenship card with photo
  • permanent immigration documents
  • Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or
  • record on the right of establishment (form 1000) or
  • confirmation of permanent residence (IMM 5292 form)
  • temporary immigration documents
  • study permit (IMM 1442)
  • work permit (IMM 1442)
  • Visitor's record (IMM 1442)
  • temporary resident permit (IMM1442)
  • refugee claim (IMM 1434)
  • declaration of intent to apply for refugee status (IMM 7703 with photo)
  • report under the Immigration Act (IMM 1442 with photo)

Note: The applicant will have to provide additional documents if the document presented (from the list above) does not include his legal name, his complete date of birth (day, month, year) or his signature.